Hey Cachers! This is Lookout Lisa from Cache Advance, and I’m your host for the Geocaching Question of the Day.
Cache Advance is your geocaching hub for all of your caching needs, including the Cache Crate, a monthly subscription box of geocaching and outdoor gear.
Now you can hear the recap on the Podcacher Podcast with the Geocaching Question of the Day weekly! Tune in Sunday night for this week's question recap.
We recently asked: Do you usually log your cache finds in the field, or later back at home?
After tallying all the answers, we found it often mattered if the cacher was using a GPS or phone, and what the situation was. In general it was tied 40% each of cachers that log in the field or at home. But for another 20% they do both, and it really depends on a few things. So here’s what we heard:
- Agent Questermark on G+ shared: I usually log them in the field, explaining the condition of the log and container and something about why I'm at that particular cache.
- Donna on FB shared: In the field? GASP! Why would I do that!! lol. I like to go home and write about my finds, I keep notes in a notebook so I can remember them all. And I used to always post at least one picture, but I've slowed down. Sigh.
- Hot Rod 205 on Twitter shared: a 'hybrid' approach. Log as a field note in my phone app in field. Then finish it at home later.
- Kari shared: Usually log DNFs in the field but finds are always logged at home.
- Nathan shared: On big runs, I send field notes and log later. Otherwise, I log in the field.
- Tom shared: I'll drop a short note in the field, then expound on it later from a real keyboard. Anything more than a sentence or two with a touchscreen is just taking time away from other things I could be doing.
- Tom, a lot of cachers, myself included, agree with you! I do have a great solution for trying to tap out great logs on a tiny screen: stay tuned for a blog post on this very soon!!
As always, we really enjoyed hearing about logging caches. You can to, if you-
Meet Charlie - the Podcacher geocaching chihuahua, the cutest trackable ever! Get Him today and help spread the word about PodCacher! Please share!! http://bit.ly/2kx1Ye9Opens in a new windowOpens in a new window